Monday, August 23, 2010

Now on DVD: Last Station

Excellence! That is the only word I could think of when I finished watching this film. I had heard from friends that it was depressing and so I had shied away until it came out on DVD but I really shouldn't have because this movie has everything that a fantastic movie should: great actors, a wonderful story, superb screenwriting, and interesting characters (amongst other things).

Christopher Plummer plays Leo Tolstoy who is at the end of his life and at odds with himself, the ideologies that he created, his family, and followers. Helen Mirren pulls out an exceptional performance as Tolstoy's wife, former muse, confidante, and eventual nemesis. However, this movie is not just about the dissolution of a marriage (though that is certainly an excellent piece). It's also about Tolstoy's legacy and those who will fight tooth and nail to preserve it even if it means casting aside his wife. James McAvoy is called in to be a secretary to Tolstoy. Yet it soon becomes clear that he was actually hired to be a spy for Tolstoy's aid who is trying to change the writer's will so that Tolstoy's wife will receive none of the royalties to her husband's own works. As it becomes clear that Tolstoy is in his last days, those around him scramble to secure their needs before the great artist is laid to rest.

It was only when the credits finally rolled that I realized I hadn't breathed in over two hours. Each scene was magnificent in every possible way from the acting to the cinematography. The script was so tight that I don't think I could find a single loose end to complain about. Mirren's portrayal of Tolstoy's jilted wife was filled with such complexity that I found myself in total awe of her performance. McAvoy's character development was to be believed! His ability to go from a naive writer who worshiped the master Tolstoy to a realistic and forgiving man who acknowledged his heroes faults and successes was brilliantly nuanced. Of course the film would have been quite different had Plummer not made such a remarkable performance. He allowed the contradictions within Tolstoy's character to truly show without making him appear insincere or fickle. Truly an excellent film and one that I hope will last for years to come!

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment