Monday, August 23, 2010

Now on DVD: The Joneses

I watched this film while I was home sick (which is when I get to watch most movies) and have to say that I was pleasantly surprised! It was limited to only limited theaters and went quickly to DVD which made me a bit leery. However, I found this movie to be quite timely and a fantastic idea overall.

The film follows Kate and Steve Jones as they move into a new town with "their children" Jen and Mick. The family assimilates easily into the upper class neighborhood and they instantly make friends. Well, perhaps friends is to strong a word for Kate, Steve, Jen, and Mick are not a real family. It is quickly revealed to the viewer that they are in fact a "unit" or "cell" that moves into a neighborhood to hawk luxury merchandise to their "friends" (or rather the people around them). Jen and Mick play the part of the popular high school students who everyone wants to be like while their "parents" play the couple that everyone loves and admires. Together the unit's sales skyrocket until things take a more sinister turn and their wheeling and dealing finally catches up with them.

I thought that the acting was wonderful. There were times that the script seemed a bit fluffy but overall the film was very affective. I found the concept enthralling and though I think that were some ways to make the film better it still held my attention and exposed how keeping up with the Joneses is detrimental to all involved. Certainly worth a viewing!

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment