Sunday, August 8, 2010

Book Review: Language of Secrets

A couple of months ago I read the novel Language of Secrets and never blogged about it because I had such conflicting feelings about the book. I picked it up because I was in the middle of my semester in graduate school and needed something compelling to take me away from my books and studies when I needed some down time. This novel did just that but sadly little more.

The story begins when Justin realizes that his son is 3 years old and has never met Justin's parents or sisters. With the original support of his wife, Justin goes on a hunt to find his family remembers and reconnect. He hears that his father was in a nursing home but when he contacts the home he finds that his father has since died. However, there is a box of his father's belongings that has yet to be picked up by the family. Justin retrieves the items and brings them to his sister's house where he believes they will make a good conversation starter. Oddly, when he arrives at his sister's house she has no idea who he is and when he states his name she becomes extremely upset and orders him away. Justin then visits his parents' graves to find that there is a third stone next to their two that bears his name! This sends Justin on an epic search for truth that takes him deep into his past to uncover secrets that threaten not only his memories of his past family but also that of his present and future.

This novel did what I wanted it to do: it enveloped me into the story. I was completely engrossed from the first page and had difficulties putting it down. The first half of the story seemed well-written and with great purpose. Yet after the halfway mark things started to get a bit hairy and the prose become stilted as the story took twists and turns that asked the reader to suspend his/her preconceptions. I do not mean that this is a science fiction novel in any way! I just mean to say that Justin's eventual findings are something more akin to an episode of General Hospital or Passions which left me disappointed.

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment