Monday, August 2, 2010

Book Review: Shutter Island

I have many codes by which I live, but the most important to me is to "never see a movie before reading the book" (if there is a book of course). That is why I was so disappointed in myself when Shutter Island was in theaters and I had yet to crack it open. Sadly, it took me this long to get around to it but I am glad that I finally did! I had read Dennis Lehane's Mystic River and absolutely fell in love with the movie, so I knew I was in good hands. Though I almost never read thrillers or mysteries, I have a soft spot for Lehane's psychological thrillers and Shutter Island does not disappoint!

The reader meets U. S Marshal Teddy Daniels while on a boat to Shutter Island, an island located off of Boston Harbor on which there is a hospital for the criminally insane. Also on the boat, is his partner Charlie Aul both of whom are sent to the island to investigate the disappearance of Rachel Solando. Solando is a patient who was sent to the hospital because she drown her three children and then sat them around the dinner table until a neighbor discovered the scene. Teddy and Charlie have never met before but they immediately hit it off and become fast friends. Teddy is clearly the serious leader while Charlie is much more happy-go-lucky and pleased to be the follower. As Teddy and Charlie spend a couple of days on the island, Teddy begins to think that nothing is as it seems and that they may possibly never get off the island again. Teddy must also confront his own past and the death of his wife before it is too late.

As with Mystic River, the most enthralling aspect of this story are the relationships between characters. Though there is a good mystery and some great drama, Lehane draws such vivid characters that the reader is completely absorbed. Of course there are chases, codes that must be broken, and blind alleys all of which make you fly through the novel. Yet, the true heart is with the people in the story. I was sad when the novel was over, but felt that it was complete. Now it's time for me to sit down and watch the movie and possibly pick up the new graphic novel!

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment