Monday, January 17, 2011

Dramatic Review: Frankie and Johnny In the Clair de Lune

Last month, I went to the New Rep in Watertown to see Frankie and Johnny. I had heard the song before and knew that it was a movie, but I have never seen the play. The venue was small and intimate as under 200 of us were seated in the black box. Overall, the production was well done. The two leads were excellent in their parts, though it might have helped that they were actually married. However, I cannot say that I enjoyed myself. This was not the fault of the specific production that I saw but of the play in general.

All of the action in this piece takes place in Frankie's apartment. The play opens with the couple having sex. It is clear from the beginning that they know each other though not very well. The audience soon learns that they met at the diner where both work. Frankie is a waitress while Johnny is the cook. Johnny is idealistic, looking for true love, and has set his sights on Frankie. Frankie is jaded/grouchy, suspicious and will have none of Johnny's romantic advances. This creates 71 pages of back and forth between the two. The repartee is humorous at its best and laborious at its worst. The two characters are grotesque stereotypes in which Johnny's idealism actually becomes creepy to the point that I questioned it the play was going to reveal that he was an escaped patient from a mental institution. Frankie's abrasiveness is further exaggerated as she huff and puffs around the apartment threatening to leave or kick him out. As they go back and forth, they start to open up to each other and see the potential for happiness within themselves and with each other.

Don't get me wrong, I love Terrence McNally (Love! Valour! Compassion! is one of my favorite plays) but this is just uncharacteristically weak. The dialogue feels stilted and unrealistic, the symbolism barrels in on anvils, and the ending is childishly foolish. Overall, McNally is a classic playwright who deserves great respect and praise. Unfortunately, this is far from his finest work and is worth skipping over on your way to his other pieces.

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment