Monday, January 3, 2011

Bookworm goes to the gym!

In the winter I like to hibernate. What with the snow, ice, sleet and other assorted cold qualities of the season, curling up on my couch with a good read, coffee and cookies sounds divine. However, this does not aid my overall health in which one should get regular exercise. I have to turn the pages...isn't that enough?? As I do enjoy a brisk walk in good weather, I decided to try out a gym. Turns out watching tv while run/walking on the treadmill gives me a headache and not watching tv means I am agonizingly watching the minutes tick by, trying to convince myself that it is worth the money if I'm only on the treadmill for 15 minutes each day. Not really a win. So I decided I'd read on the treadmill. And it works!

Okay, maybe you can't read on the treadmill because you are running. Fast. And sweating a lot like "Mr. Military" who was next to me this weekend. But I don't run. I walk briskly. On an incline. And I work up a sweat and the machine says I'm burning calories and that my heart rate is up. Considering that every winter of my life until now (except those in my childhood during which I took weekly swimming lessons), I hardly got any any exercise, I consider this an accomplishment. What do I read whilst working out you ask?

I recommend a paperback that isn't too long because if it's long that means there are lots of pages, which are difficult to prop open on the treadmills at my gym. I also recommend a novel (unless you only read non-fiction, in which case I recommend reading the "least intense" books). I find reading books that I'm really interested in help the time pass, which is why I bring along a book in the first place! I've been able to read at least a book a week ever since I started reading on the treadmill. So I'm killing two birds with one stone! In 2011 I'd like to get exercise regularly and read many more books. I read 41 books in 2010. I'd like to read at least 52 books in 2011 and I think I've figured out how to make that a reality!

See you on the treadmill!

- KER




No comments:

Post a Comment