Monday, January 17, 2011

Book Review: I Am America (And So Can You)

I have to first own up and say that I love John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. I am not a die hard fan, but I respect both of them and find myself laughing whenever I catch their shows. That's why when Colbert's book came out I did not flock to the store to get it. Instead, I waited for it to go on clearance and picked up the audiobook read by Colbert himself. After reading it, I honestly want to send him a check for the full price because this book is well worth it!

In his book, Colbert basically reiterates the same positions that he holds on his show regarding politics, family, and overall American life. His one liners are quick and incredibly memorable. There are also little interludes titled "Stephen Colbert Speaks for Me" in which various guests write in on how Stephen expresses exactly how they are feeling. These "guests" range from an old cat lady, to a cow and even God himself. These are always witty and on the audiobook they are read by various actors/actresses.

At first, I feared that I would tire of listening to Colbert for over 3 hours but I was horribly wrong. Even after finishing, I wanted to go back and listen to it all over again. It was like listening to a 3 hour stand-up routine. Of course, this book is not for everyone. It is meant to be humorous and therefore should not be taken too seriously. But if you want a treat and feel like some laughs, then certainly take a chance on this!

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment