Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Movie Review: Post Grad

I must preface this by saying, I LOVED "Gilmore Girls," which means I will loyally watch Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in anything in the mere hope of once again glimpsing the Gilmore glory. Naturally, this lead me to watching Alexis Bledel's latest career move, Post Grad. Well that and, I may have graduated from college in the not too distant past and who doesn't like to see one's life reflected in art? Ahem, I mean, mainstream culture. Anyway, I knew this movie would be bad, but hoped it would be so bad it would be good. You know, like She's All That. Does anyone else watch the whole movie just for the ridiculously choreographed dance at the prom? Oh, that's just me? Okay.

Post Grad was pretty bad as far as bad movies go - poor and wooden acting, hardly any enunciation, shallow characters, utterly unrealistic plotting and featuring Michael Keaton. Bledel plays a recent college graduate who has set her sights amazingly high without any backup plan, other than moving home with her family and scouring the want ads (she was constantly on her mac, so why wasn't she applying for jobs online?!?!). Played in the same awkward, overachiever fashion as Rory Gilmore, but minus the fabulous Lauren Graham, Bledel reveals herself to be a wooden actress with little depth. Furthermore, her character is self-absorbed and shallow. I am willing to believe that Bledel's Ryden sees her best friend platonically, even though he lurves her, but forgetting her best friend's music debut in favor of hanging out with El Guapo next door? Major friendship faux pas. The best friend's unrequited love was layed on a little thick, even for my taste and I like almost any rom-com. The film also underused the hilarious Jane Lynch and Carol Burnett, however the bits about the coffin and little brother who likes to lick people were amusing. Post Grad works best as a movie to make fun of because it is so outlandish, never mind all the female stereotypes and that she gave up her dream for a guy, blah, blah, don't make me vomit. While I had a good laugh watching Post Grad, I certainly will not rent it, but if I ever have cable again and it's on TBS when I'm doing chores...I'm not going to change the channel.

- KER

No comments:

Post a Comment