Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Movie Review: FAME

I recently realized that I have never seen the original FAME and as previously mentioned, I love bad movies, so I naturally decided I needed to see both the original and the remake. Sadly, the remake of FAME, released in 2009, had too many requests from the Minuteman Library Network, but the original was available. After having watched the original film 1980 FAME, I realized my palette has been tainted by movies like Centerstage and Save the Last Dance. I found FAME to be incredibly dated and the pacing too slow. I recognize that FAME is a period piece, much like Saturday Night Fever, but I don't think it stands the test of time. The story fails to resonate 30 years later. The ensemble cast is so large that it unclear how any of them develop beyond their beginnings in the audition phase. I also found myself bored while watching the movie. It may have been groundbreaking in its heyday, but I found the movie lackluster. I will be interested to compare this version with the original (if I can ever get my hands on a copy!) Also, watching FAME made me realize I've missed my annual indulgence viewing of Centerstage!

 - KER

1 comment:

  1. But it had dancing and singing and Richard Belzer. And it had gritty street shots of New York City in the late 1970s. I found that it felt dated because it's hard to imagine New York being like that: dirty, scary, and dangerous. I also thought it was dated because of all the swearing. Similar movies made in the last ten years would never have included so much swearing, if any. That's the one thing about this kind of movie that's changed: swearing is only used for emphasis, rather than patois.

    ReplyDelete