Sunday, October 25, 2009

Reading Challenge Update: Fantasy


I have very mixed feelings about the fantasy genre in the challenge. On one hand, I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but I think J.K. Rowling managed to do something very different than other fantasy writers. On the other hand, I generally do not care for texts about fantastical worlds vastly different from my own. I just don't care. It isn't interesting to me. But I tried to read Ursula Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea with an open mind.

I found getting into the novel really difficult because I did not know which details were important to the overall story. I read the Wikipedia entry on fantasy literature for guidance and I found this part interesting, which references a paper by Ursula Le Guin, in which she "presented the idea that the language used in high fantasy is the most crucial element, because it creates a sense of place... She [emphasizes] that language which is too bland or simplistic creates the impression that the fantasy setting was simply a modern world in disguise." This idea helped me keep reading the book, but knowing this made me laugh at many of the passages, like "...the other children called him Sparrowhawk, and so he came by the name that he kept in later life as his use-name, when his true-name was not known." (6) Passages like this frustrate me because the author creates an overly complex world and consequently an extremely complicated way of describing this world. It makes me think, "so what?!"

Underneath Le Guin's circuitous writing style is rather bland story, which seems contradictory to the idea that fantasy presents an more exciting world than the one we inhabit - an escape. The primary character, known as Duny, then Ged, but mostly Sparrowhawk pursues knowledge and power to selfish ends, only to learn that those more wise than he were right - those with power must use it carefully or upset the balance of the world. While Sparrowhawk is a wizard in a world of much magic, the balance of good and evil is the primary concern. In this particular rendering of balancing the good and evil in the world, Sparrowhawk uses his power unknowingly and unleashes a dark, evil spirit into the world. He must conquer this spirit somehow in order to balance the world order, but also to release himself from a life lived in fear. The evil spirit he unleashes is different from evils that escaped from Pandora's box in that it does not seem to wreak havoc on the world, but pursue only Sparrowhawk. {spoiler alert} In the end, Sparrowhawk discovers that when he faces the evil spirit and recognizes it as part of himself, he becomes whole and thus vanquishes the evil spirit.

I felt underwhelmed at the end because the build up to Sparrowhawk facing this evil spirit felt contrived and then the end petered out. It seemed like Le Guin was tired of writing, so the book ends with Sparrowhawk and his companion returning home. There is no huge action sequence or big reveal. Sparrowhawk conquers the spirit and the story is effectively over. Part of why I felt disappointed was that, while it took me about a third to book to become interested in the story, once I did, I was curious about Earthsea and how it all connected and wanted to know the truth behind the shadowing evil spirit that haunted Sparrowhawk. The more I wanted something to happen, the less it did. Sparrowhawk would confront the spirit somehow and would grow weak and then wake up in a bed because some other power saved him. None of these details are explained further or linked together. Furthermore, the characters are one dimensional, lacking introspection. In a fantasy novel I expected some high adventure, which to me means action. If I'm not reading action, I'm looking for some serious self-exploration and I found neither in Le Guin's text. Perhaps all the characters and places of Earthsea are only hinted at because Le Guin had a series in mind, but I prefer books that can stand on their own as well as a part of a larger whole.

After reading A Wizard of Earthsea I conclude that high fantasy is not my preferred genre. Perhaps other forms of fantasy, like the Harry Potter novels are more my style. Reading the description of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell suggests to me that this might be a fantasy-esque book I might like. I am interested in elements of magic and what role magic may have in this world, but less about an isolated world of magic.

- KER

No comments:

Post a Comment