Tuesday, October 27, 2009

DystopYA Challenge Begins!


In addition to doing the Once Upon a Time Challenge, I have decided to try my hand at the DystopYA Challenge that is being hosted by Books on the Nightstand. Books on the Nightstand is a blog and podcast about books that is done by two avid readers who happen to be employed by Random House and have access to hundreds of books each year. I have found this blog and podcast to be extremely helpful in guiding my wandering literary interests.

This month, they have started a reading challenge in which people must read three dystopian young adult novels by December 31st. The guidelines are simple and basically state that the book must be about or take place in a dystopian society which is defined by the American Heritage Dictionary as "An imaginary place or state in which the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror." The website gives a few recommendations to help guide the challengers.

For myself, I have chosen the City of Ember series. There are four books in the series of which I will be reading two. The final selection that for this challenege has not yet been determined. Being that the Once Upon a Time Challenge requires us to read a fantasy novel, I will use City of Ember to fulfill both challenges.
For those who are interested in the dystopYA challenege, visit the Books on the Nightstand website and sign up...there may even be prizes!

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment