Sunday, October 18, 2009

Another word about Errol Flynn


Like I mentioned in my review of Errol Flynn's autobiography, I grew up watching "The Adventures of Robin Hood" over and over. After finishing My Wicked Wicked Ways, I had to see my favorite Flynn feature films again. I watched "The Adventures of Robin Hood" the other night and loved it. The story is played for laughs and all the characters are one dimensional, yet it was great! (And not just because it reminded me of being 5 years old again.) Still in the early part of his career, Flynn plays the perfect swashbuckler - dueling with gusto and laughter. The two disc edition offers outtakes and commentary on how some of the special effects were done. While the night scenes clearly look like they were shot during the day, it was interesting to hear in which scenes a stunt double stood performed vs. Flynn himself. In his autobiography, Flynn boasts a great deal about performing many of his own stunts, particularly in this early time of his film career. "The Adventures of Robin Hood" was a great trip down memory lane for me and great fun to see a film from Hollywood's Golden Age.

- KER

No comments:

Post a Comment