Saturday, October 22, 2011

Book Review: The Funny Thing Is

...that this book isn’t funny. I love Ellen (who doesn’t?!). I think that she’s funny, insightful, and incredibly wise. While I enjoy watching her show, I also loved her before she became the dancing, housewife heartthrob. It is for this reason that I picked up her book. More specifically, I got a copy of her audiobook so that I could listen to her read her book to me. I thought it would be like a private stand-up show with Ellen in my car. Sadly, it missed the most important ingredient...laughter.
In this book, Ellen has compiled a bunch of random musing that are neither funny nor insightful. For example, she tells of a brunch she has with various entertainment figured ranging from Eminem to Paula Abdul. I thought that there might be some chuckles, but mostly I was left feeling like “huh?”. I suppose I should have known better because the entire introduction was about how she didn’t want to write a book and how hard it was. If it was written by anyone else, I would have thought that they did if for the money.

Sometimes, I feel as if Ellen is holding back some of her humor because she is thought of as being “G” or “PG” rated. This was one of the reasons I picked up her book because I thought that she would write some “PG-13” or maybe possibly some “R” rated humor. Sadly, this was as funny and racy as a TV show on Nick Jr. I don’t like crude or overtly sexual humor, but I was hoping for at least some social commentary. Last month, her new book came out and I have to say that it looks very similar to this oldie. Sadly, I would have to tell you to pass on this one.

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment