Thursday, October 20, 2011

Book Review: Domestic Violets

When I finished this book, I realized that I had been waiting for it for over five years without even knowing. Norman is able to create the perfect recipe that includes laughs, tears, heartache, and forgiveness. I rarely say this, but this novel has it all! Therefore, I recommend it to all.

Tom is tired of his work as a copywriter and can see his marriage slipping away from him but he is helpless to do anything. When his father wins the Pulitzer Prize, Tom’s problems grow exponentially. Curtis Violet is the ultimate author; his works are taught in universities across the country and his reputation as a writer is only dwarfed by his reputation as a philanderer and heavy drinker. When Curtis decides to move in with Tom, Tom is confronted with his own inadequacies as a writer and husband. Yet the economy is on the brink and the crash might finally push Tom to chase after his dreams…or it could push him off of a rooftop.

This may be Norman’s first novel, but he is an expert when it comes to sarcasm and dark humor. Reviewers have compared him to Jonathon Tropper but Norman’s skill far surpasses that of Tropper’s. I typically enjoy dark stories with tragic characters and harsh endings. In between such heavy reading, I like to grab a book that will make me chuckle but doesn’t need me to bring much to the table. “Domestic Violets” is able to be this book while also having great depth, insight into characters and society, and weaving a beautiful family story into a witty office satire. I have no problem recommending this book to both men and women, which is nearly impossible to find! It is timely in subject matter but I believe will still be powerful in years to come. In many ways, it reminds me of the great Christopher Buckley and his classic “Thank You For Smoking”. This is a must read not just for 2011 but for this entire generation. Do yourself a favor, read it now before the rest of the country beats you too it.

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment