Saturday, August 6, 2011

Book Review: I Love You Beth Cooper

I picked up this book at a Border’s liquidation sale. I have seen it on various bookshelves and DVD racks for a couple of years now and thought that I should take a stab at it. I usually don’t like fictional humor or chick lit, but I know I need to try new things. I have to say that though it wasn’t my kind of book, I wasn’t disappointed and I did enjoy reading it.

Denis Cooverman isn’t exactly a nerd, but he is far from being part of the popular crowd.  During his graduation speech, he decides to tell members of the student body how he actually feels about them. The crowd is aghast when he calls out one of his classmates as being a snob and tells everyone that his best friend is gay. Yet the greatest shocker is when he declares his love for the popular Beth Cooper. When he finally speaks to her after the ceremony, he asks her to come to his house that night for a party. Of course, Denis has never thrown a party before and when Beth and her two friends arrive it is only Denis and his supposedly gay best friend in attendance. Yet that doesn’t stop the drama from blasting through his front door in the form of Beth’s military boyfriend. As Beth’s BF chases the whole gang around town, Beth and Denis begin to form a bond that could be just what Denis was looking for.

My favorite part of the novel were the illustrations that opened each chapter showing Denis and his downward spiral throughout the night. There were definitely times when I chuckled at the circumstances that the group found themselves in. I thought that the antics between Denis and his best friend were really cute. Most of all, I enjoyed the ending because I thought it was tender but real. Overall, I wasn’t that impressed but I did have a good time which was worth the $8.

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment