Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Book Review: The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove

I heard about this book through a podcast and downloaded the sample onto my Kindle. The second I read the first paragraph I rushed to the library to check it out! At just under 300 pages, this novel flies by. I read it over one weekend and could have read it within one day if I didn't have prior commitments. However, when it ended, I felt a bit let down like I had expected more of the characters and writing. Still, it is worth a read if you're looking for something to get lost in for a bit.


Susan Gregg Gilmore tells the story of Bezellia Grove who was born into a wealthy family that is at the top of high society. People covet the Groves but within the confines of their mansion, they are an incredibly unhappy family that consists of a workaholic father, an alcoholic mother, an emotionally stunted little sister, and Bezellia. Bezellia is a typical girl growing up in the south in the 1960s. Her family was one of the founding families of the town in which they live and her life is comprised of social gatherings that her mother believes are mandatory for a young woman of society. Bezellia goes along with her mother's whims even though she doubts either of her parents love her as much as the African American nanny and groundskeeper who have taken care of Bezellia since she was born. When Bezellia falls in love with the groundskeeper's son, her life is thrown off kilter. She must then decide whether to stand up for herself, her love, and her future or bow to the southern societal norms that are engrained in her family and herself.

Though I found parts of this novel to be predictable, I was still surprised by some of Bezellia's choices and felt right there with her the whole time. It certainly was a fun read if not a challenging one. I would recommend it to anyone interested in southern literature or a good novel in which you can get lost!

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment