Monday, February 14, 2011

Book Review: On Writing

It is no secret that I love Stephen King (or Uncle Stevie as he calls himself). While I have not read all of his works, I find his personal writings to be humorous and his insights into pop culture to be fascinating. It is for this reason that I snatched up a copy of On Writing. While I am not entirely interested in being an author, I certainly am intrigued by the process and thought that being guided through the process by King would be interesting. I was not disappointed.

While King's book does focus on the writing process, most of this book is filled with his personal recommendations on what has worked for him. This is not meant as a slight, for King is very upfront about his lack of expertise in writing a "writing manual". It is for this reason that the book is so effective. I found myself following his recommendations in my everyday writing. The examples that he uses are humorous while also able to prove his points.

Additionally, he begins this book with what feels like a memoir. In the first third of the book, King describes aspects of his childhood and adulthood that led him to becoming a writer. He does not shy away from his drug and alcohol addiction and in doing so he makes himself appear human. King does not ask the reader for sympathy or compassion. Instead, he uses his personal history as a way to prove that writers are not entirely pure and often take a winding road before coming upon their first book. As a fan of King, I was glad to read a bit about his personal life and upbringing. Of course it is nothing that isn't already on Wikipedia or has been spread across the news. Still, hearing his story in his own voice is beyond delightful.

Basically what a reader has here are two books: a memoir and a writing manual. King excels in writing both and I encourage readers to take a chance of this hybrid book. I doubt it will disappoint.

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment