Saturday, March 27, 2010

Now on DVD: Up in the Air

Though I originally had no interest in seeing Up in the Air when it first came out, its numerous Oscar nominations made me rethink my point of view and I decided to rent the movie to see if there is finally one George Clooney movie that I liked. I went into this movie thinking that it would be just another Clooney movie that showed how snarky he can be without having any substance. I was greatly surprised!

The plot of the film is very simple, Clooney plays a man whose job it is to fire people. His company is hired by another company that wants to downsize but does not have the heart to let the people go themselves. Instead, Clooney flies in to personally fire each person that the company has decided to let go. While others view his job as rat-like, he honestly enjoys his career. He is not sadistic nor does he take pleasure in people's unemployment, but he loves to constantly be on the road. Clooney's character boasts that he is well on his way to reaching 1 million miles after which he will be given a plaque, a special flyers card, and the chance to have a conversation with a pilot. It is a great achievement for any constant flyer for only 6 other people have ever reached 1 million miles. Because he flies constantly, Clooney has no home and lives out of a residential hotel when he is "home". This doesn't bother him though because he enjoys the travel life of different hotels and restaurants each night.

His entire life gets thrown off course when a new college graduate is hired by his company and she develops a way to do their work remotely. Instead of flying to each agency to lay off people in person, she has created Skype-like software that allows Clooney's company to fire people from their desk at the home office. Before this program can be implemented, Clooney challenges the young woman to join him on the road so she can see how difficult and sensitive his work is. Their time together is touching and humorous in a completely sincere and not cliched way.

While on his travels, Clooney meets his female counter-part in Vera Farmiga. Though both have sworn that they will never marry and only enjoy having a relationship when they are in the same hotel, Clooney starts to think about giving up his traveling life and settling down. Of course, none of these female relationships are what they seem and nothing goes according in plan.

I thought that this movie was incredibly interesting and quite tender without being sappy or annoying. I had an inkling where the film was going to take me but I still enjoyed "the ride". In this struggling economy and extremely high unemployment rates, I found this movie to be incredibly timely and poignant. I enjoyed Clooney's character as well as his acting which is something that I have been unable to say in the past. The female supporting roles were equally powerful and I was very impressed by Anna Kendrick's performance. Though some viewers thought that it lagged at times, I disagree with that perception. Some parts were certainly not as dramatic at others, but I completely enjoyed the entire film and highly recommend it!

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment