Saturday, March 27, 2010

Book Review: 98 Reasons for Being

Clare Dudman's 98 Reasons for Being is overall an excellent read. I found the characters to be extremely dynamic and multidimensional. The story was also at times heartbreaking as well as uplifting. Yet, it was the writing style that made this book exceptional to read. There were sections of narration that were interrupted by case studies performed by the psychiatrist as well as the thoughts inside the main character's mind. Though I would not go as far to say that it is postmodern, the way that the story is presented is certainly nontraditional.

Basically, it is the story of a Jewish girl who is brought into a mental institution because she refuses to talk. Through her treatment, she encourages the doctor and other patients to open up and free themselves from their own demons. Of course, not all are saved and there are numerous characters that can be deemed as "not good". Still, the complexities of the characters makes them seem more real than the paper on which they are described.

I do have to say that I think this novel is for a very special audience. I loaned my copy to a couple of people and they did not like it because the writing style is very different. While I thought that her writing style was enthralling, dynamic, and fresh, others thought that it made the story convoluted and hard to get into. I can understand their point of view but I would still give this novel a shot because it is well worth it!!

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment