Sunday, January 3, 2010

Joyce Carol Oates Challenge Wrap Up: Collector of Hearts


Though I fared a bit better than my fellow romper on this challenge, I too felt let down by my final choice of books. I chose Collector of Hearts which is another short story collection that centers around grotesque characters and plots. Despite the similarity with themes in Haunted, Collector of the Hearts pales in comparison. In fact, it seems as if Oates has ripped herself off with this collection by using almost the exact same techniques as she did in her previous collection (such as numbering certain segments and arranging the stories in three parts). Similar to Haunted, the stories in Collector of Hearts are almost entirely about family relationships that become violent with physically or sexually. However, they are far more weird and border on being science fiction.

I finished the collection but it took a great deal of motivation! I found some of the tales to be terrifying, but not in a "spooky ghost story". Instead, it was terrifying in a "how could someone think of anything this sick and twisted" way. Perhaps the best word to describe this collection is disturbing.

Overall, this challenge taught me a great deal about Joyce Carol Oates. The most important lesson is I learned is that I do not like Joyce Carol Oates. I found her writing to be disturbing and often borders on assaulting. I am aware that she has a large fan base but after this challenge I don't believe that I am part of that base!

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment