Monday, June 27, 2011

Book Review: My Horizontal Life

First, I have to say that I read "Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea" before reading this book and absolutely loved the former. I picked this book up because I had so enjoyed her other ones. While I liked this collection of stories, I did not find it as compelling as her other books and certainly not as funny. Still, there are several stories in this collection that may be laugh out loud in public.

In this book, Chelsea has collected a bunch of stories about her various one night stands. It begins with a story about catching her parents having sex and continues, relatively chronologically, through her various sexual experiences. She tells of the time she had sex with a "midget/nugget"; an experience with her gynecologist that was not what she had expected; her findings on ChocolateSingles.com; and what to do if you find that your underpants have skid marks.

While not all of these are funny, there are certainly some laugh out loud moments. As is typical with Handler, she can oftentimes be offensive and politically incorrect. I found her cast of friends to be the most interesting and humorous part of the stories. Her interactions with, and perceptions of, her friends were fantastic. Still, the good did not outweigh the gross and there were certain times where I wanted to skip ahead for fear of becoming queasy.

Overall, I have to say that this is her weakest piece. While I enjoyed it, to a point, I have to endorse "Are You There Vodka..." over this piece.

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment