Thursday, July 15, 2010

Book Review: Poisoner's Handbook

I grabbed this audiobook on the fly because I had nothing to listen to while driving. Honestly, I was attracted to the brightly colored cover and thought that if it was just okay for the first disc or two I would be happy. But I found that after I flew through all of the discs I still wanted more!

The beauty of Blum's book is that it tells so many stories at once without ever confusing the reader. The book is laid out in chapters in which each one covers a different drug/poison from carbon monoxide to radium and almost everything in between. She doesn't trace the history of this poisons but instead just focuses on their rise in usage during the Prohibition. Without being too scientific, she describes how each poison is made and how it interacts with the body. The most interesting aspect are the stories that she brings together from primary sources on scandalous murders and everyday crimes. Into this, she weaves the story of forensic medicine and highlights the work of medical examiner Dr. Charles Norris and NYC's first toxicologist Alexander Gettler. Each drug gives these two men a new opportunity to hone their skills and show the world the need for forensics.

Personally, I am picky when it comes to non-fiction. Though I wouldn't say that I am a predominately novel reader, I do tend to pick up a work of fiction quicker than a work of non-fiction. So when I stumbled on this book, I immediately had to run out and buy my own copy. I put the CDs onto my computer and made all of the family members listen. I love how this book reads like a suspense novel and is full of intrigue, murder, and mayhem. Yet the best part is that it's all true!! My advice to you, reader, is to pick up a copy for yourself and before you know it you'll be immersed in the insane world of poisons. Even better, you'll have tons of great stories (that few others know) to tell at the next cocktail party!

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment