Thursday, May 20, 2010

1001 Challenge: Northanger Abbey

Even though it is already May, I have finally decided to post my April selection for the 1001 Challenge. Last month, I chose Northanger Abbey because it was the only Jane Austen novel that I knew very little about. I am very glad that I chose this novel because it is unlike many of Austen's other novels.

As with most of Austen's books, the plot is simple because the drama is within the people and their relationships. Catherine Morland is a sheltered girl who lived with her family in the country and never had nay friends or suitors. When a friend of her parents decides to take Catherine to live in the city, her whole life changes. She immediately befriends Isabella Thorpe, a deceitful and self-centered girl. Isabella's brother, John, attempts to court Catherine but she remains unswayed for her interests lay with Henry Tilney. As the story continues, Isabella becomes more demanding and almost tries to force Catherine to be with John. Eventually, Catherine finds her voice and refuses John's advancements. Yet, it takes Catherine almost the entire novel to completely come into her own. The title comes from the abbey that Henry Tilney's family owns. Catherine, who spent the majority of her youth reading Gothic novels, is completely enthralled with the abbey so when she is finally invited she just about bursts at the thought of hidden chambers and locked away skeletons. However, what she finds it nothing like what she had planned and when her imagination runs away with itself her relationship with Henry is put at risk.

I really enjoyed this novel much more than I thought I would. I found other works by Austen to be boring, dated, and bombastic. Yet, Northanger Abbey is charming and has a message that still rings true today: don't allow yourself to be naive or prone to deceit because people will take advantage of you. In addition, I liked that the romance in the novel took a backseat to Catherine's development. Though it felt sluggish at times, I was never disinterested. I also loved Austen's defense of novels and the Gothic elements in this book. Definitely a worthwhile read that I doubt I would have ever explored before this challenge.

-DLP

No comments:

Post a Comment